Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Looks to me like lots of people knows what's best for the individuals who might want / need an abortion. Lots of non-Roman Catholics hold very strong Catholic views, but let's face it, this is the 21st century, and public services which deal with these delicate issues tend to be very good, well-managed, and appropriately sensible in their application. I don't for one minute expect to see Pepsi Max-style adverts promoting abortion like some kind of bizarre extreme sport and to suggest such a thing is Catholic fear-mongering and emotive propaganda. If the abortion services were not available then they would be performed either illegally by underground groups for profit, or the women would be forced to spend fortunes in travel tickets to fly elsewhere for it (like a lot of Irish women currently do). Abortion is a fact of life, and is one of the trade-offs to modern living I'm afraid. Using the advertising medium is merely a way of making information highly accessible - perhaps the "concept" of abortion adverts seems gross to many but they won't be adverts as we understand them, they will be "infomercials" like the drink driving ads or the quit smoking ads. They will provide an information gateway - they will NOT be claiming "buy one get one free" or any other such tacky advertising dross. Women who choose to have abortions will not be told by anyone that they can't and so it is a good thing that they have safe, reliable, properly organized services available rather than grotty alternatives. I cannot see why advertising these services is a bad thing provided it is done responsibly.

We all have the right to make moral, political, and religious objections to these issues but I do not for one minute think we should block people's freedom to choose what is best for them under appropriate guidance, and in many ways the adverts just might be a very good thing.

end link