Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

The idea of a tunnel is one of the most stupid I have heard of for a while!

Both our MP and the local Lib Dem parliamentary spokesman are calling for a road tunnel for the A20 through Dover to 'keep traffic moving' and to relieve Dover of 'air pollution'.

Ignoring any cost benefit analysis of the project and civil engineering difficulties in construction (have any of them looked at a geological map of the area? Doh!) Just for starters I would be fascinated to know how putting a small section of what is often a 14 mile queue of traffic in a tunnel will speed up traffic flow.

I also ask how emergency services might access any incidents in the tunnel such as a fire or even people suffering from 'mental problems' trying to slaughter all around them which seems so fashionable in Europe just now (N.B. Nothing to do with Religion) and, presuming we don't wish the drivers to asphyxiate themselves on exhaust fumes exactly where the noxious fumes are going to be pumped out into the atmosphere.

To add to this the idiots keep on citing the Conwy tunnel as a template! A tube, laid in sections across an estuary where it would have ben difficult to put in coffer dams, which has damn all to the with the proposed Dover site. At least Reg's cut-and-cover is doable even if mad!

I am always amazed just how many experts Dover has, ranging from engineers with their knowledge of soil mechanics ready to pitch in on the railway collapse, hydrologists giving their expert opinion on any dredging of the Goodwin Sands and even a former Mayor of Sandwich who was willing to offer his scientific knowledge of electromagnetic radiation from proposed towers at Richborough causing unspecified 'mental problems'.

I'm still working on the Samuel Shenton statue ........

end link