Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Its interesting work being a volunteer as many of you will know, but what can grind any person down is the continued gripes from people unwilling to put themselves forward to carry out such work.

I have watched over the past years local community people who lacked confidence, now gained so much confidence they carry out and arrange events themselves and grow and grow in confidence.

Thats what it is all about to me, people getting up and doing something for there community, and Im proud of the large number that I have come into contact with over the years.

I recall many activists who sat around the table on the first day of doing a NVQ 2 and 3 in community management with south kent college saying they could not complete or even do the course(well 1 of your posters didnt) but the rest slogged over the year encouraging each other, and when anyone struggles everyone pulled together.
    Out of this came community champions many who can be seen today.

There are negatives of course, dealing with local authorities or big business as a community group isn't easy but you have to keep at it for the sake of your community.
    Mandie like others has shown that although difficulties arise outside of your control, you keep at it because you are a volunteer and as such its in your blood.

Everyone knows some 27 or so years ago I started out as a cllr, and served a few years with my mate BAZ we rarely agreed but hopefully we didn't fall out, and I do think local politicians have lost a lot of the sparkle, in those days(boy im sounding old!) there were characters, we don't have them now.
    But did give my best shot at it, and hopefully along the way helped, but I ,look around and am proud when I see volunteers giving up there time in communities because they believe in being a volunteer, and it realy is great to watch.

Being a volunteer is a thankless task, but they still turn out week in week out.

I would like lay down my thanks to all those volunteers out there
    It can be a thankless task, but believe me people do notice the good work you do.
    Well done and keep up the good work.

end link