Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

One of our respected councillors, at last weeks full DDC Meeting, at the Fantasy Factory at Fort Whitfield, made mention of one of Dover's unsung heroes, the late Samuel Shenton who ran the International Flat Earth Research Society (IFERS) from his address in London Road until his untimely death in 1971.

I had not realised that this august body was actually based in Dover but this probably explains why so many of his followers are present in our Council Chamber putting forwards common sense views against what so many see as perceived scientific wisdom and research.

Surely it is time to honour Shenton with a blue plaque at his former abode? Perhaps the Council Chamber itself could be named after him? Why is there not a statue to him on the seafront alongside the silhouettes of Vera Lynn, James Bond and someone holding an Olympic torch? Why is his grave (does anyone know where it is?) not bedecked with flowers on the anniversary of his death and what are we doing in the district to celebrate the 50thh anniversary of his death?

Details about Shenton are here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Shenton

Does anyone on the Forum remember him? (He would appear to have a number of disciples who post on here).

I'd be grateful if others, like me could begin to lobby their representatives from Town Councillor to MP to get the man the recognition he deserves.

end link