Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Exactly so Paul. Name a town in the UK where this does not happen!

The screen will not increase anti-social behaviour. As has been said many times before here and elsewhere, the Market Square is a no-drinking zone as is every public space, and is covered in CCTV. There are no bars in the open air there facing the screen and those who wish to have a drink will be indoors where they can't even see it. Besides, the screen will turned be off many hours before kick-out time, even if it will be transmitting to 11pm, which is by no means certain and will probably be on special occasions only. Quite frankly most of the trouble in the Market Square takes place after midnight anyway - the long turned off screen will make no difference whatsoever.

As mentioned before, the screen may even decrease anti-social behaviour by keeping people out of the pubs by encouraging them to stay a while in a no drinking zone.

The potential benefits of the screen far, far outweigh the negatives. We are not suddenly going to beset by vast hoards of Special Brew drinking hooligans hurling abuse and breaking into fights all day every day. Think more of families bringing their children as a treat to see their school and their town on the screen, and stopping in a cafe for a bite to eat and a drink on a summers afternoon. Possibly even the new Three Cooks...

I realise much of this will fall on deaf ears and I'm sure minds are already made up no matter what is claimed on this forum and others. In fact I'm starting to suspect that there is a conspiracy out there to sink it...

end link