Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I haven't posted on this subject before as I have been looking into all the issues that have been raised and when asked while out and about I have tried to put the other side of the story to whichever view the person I was speaking with already had.

To those who think it is a great opportunity I have advised the issues raised by other people who are against the idea and, similarly, to those opposed, I have tried to explain the advantages.

I have also looked at various website where information can be obtained on the big sceens that are already in position and some have been for some time. On the BBC website alone, and the BBC will be providing to technical input and it will be BBC programmes and links that will be used - not any other TV company - there are a number of events that can be found under 'Big Screen' including live ballet (not everyone's cup of tea but great for some), interactuive rugby preceeding a rugby match and a cultural link when British children and children from Poland got together.

My understanding is that the big screens can be used for interactive games, almost like a giant Wii if that is what it is called and I have spelt it correctly.

On the other side of the coin, I fully appreciate that feelings, particularly of the residents in Dolphin House (That is above the KFC and neighbouring shops for those who are not too familiar with this part of town), and is why I insisted that when I was advised of the details relating to the screen I ensured that the chairman of the residents group and the chairman of the Dover Society were invited to the meeting and they did attend.

Even in a meeting that I attended yesterday on another issue there was a similar conflict on issues that led me to make two statements that also apply to the Big Screen.
    Dover is faced with a problem of deciding whether the way ahead is Economy or Ecology.
    Dover has some fantastic history that needs to be preserved and better used to attract visitors but still needs to move into the 21st Century to be attractive in more modern ways.
    This will always be a problem as people in our community will always have their own priorities but this is the freedom that my father, many of your fathers and indeed many of your grandfathers fought for in two World Wars and indeed many conflicts throughout the world since when some you may also have also seen active service.

I don't know of any Councillor who was elected on a ticket saying that they would sit back and watch Dover stand still or event slide backwards - I know that my promise was to improve our area to the best of my ability and I will continue to do this so long as the public want me to - I won't always appear to be correct but those of you who know me will appreciate that any decisions I make will be based on facts backed by my own gut feeling on what is overall best for us all even though it may not seem so in certain quarters at the time.

Some of the information I have received is following the Chinese Whispers that have evolved, as they always do, and as one person said to met why is it being considerd the put a masssive screen 10 feet from the windows at Dolphin House. I haven't measured the distance but as there is a road running through there know that it is a lot more than 10 feet .

Many, if not all of the issue raised can be dealt with though the management of the screen through a committee set up that will have two representatives from Dover District Council sitting on it, one member and one officer, as has already been stated by Paul Watkins as Council Leader. The committee will discuss under the terms of the contract what is shown on the big screen and the very sophisticated sound system will be set a one decibel above the ambient sound level in the main but could be higher for any major events being screened. Control of the screen's output will be decided locally.

Any events staged will need to be sanctioned through the District Council's Events Co-ordination Group that has for many years ensured that events throughout the district are held in a legal and safe way supporting the requirements under many issues of legislation expected of the organisers and those attending as well as securing that our open spaces remain in a good condition at all times - often a finite balancing act.

I am on this group and for many years Sue Nicholas was toobut with the changes to portfolios, I now work with Julie Rook on events. On large events, Julie is currently leading on the Olympic associated events in the build up to 2012 while I look after the Open Golf Championships to be held at Royal St George's, Sandwich in July 2011.

We have fought for many years to improve Dover and get it on the map with very little support at times from friends and those who should be providing better support in our area - this need to change and when necessary continue go it alone in the big world doing work that higher tiers of government should be doing for us - this has happened since 2003 so we are quite used to it now but the help would be greatly received to support our efforts.

Before the Council vote, Julie Rook and I walked around Dover looking at a number of sites, including the Market Square, where events could be held and found some new ones. Dover is fortunate to have three centres of excellence, the sea front with its marvelous settings, the Market Square that used to be a vibrant hub up to about 20 years ago and Pencester Gardens a unique green area very near to our town centre where youngsters can play and people can just sit and enjoy some fresh air watching others and enjoying the skills of some of our youngsters in the Skate Park. For some events we need to look further a field to other venues such as Connaught Park where the annual Open Air Cinema Event will again take place in August on the evening preceeding another major Olympic Event that will be announced soon and could well be a double co-orinated event on two sites. This is all part of our effcorts to have the Olympic Flame arrive in Dover in 2012 before travelling to London for the Olympiad itself - what an honour this would be and a repeat of the 1948 spectacle. Julie advises me that she attending an Olympic organising function a few weeks ago and the assembled were advised by the London Organing Committee that if you want to see the standard of events that they expect to support the build up to the Gmes, to go to Dover.

If Planning Permission is granted for the Big Screen many of these events can be promoted and possibly even screened on it and repeated if necesary for those who were working or missed out for other reasons - this is not a big TV - it is a community communication facility where Dover can be promoted and members of our community can see what is planned as Dover moves forward on the regeneration trail - all of which is still moving.

Incidentally, the new B&Q store has signs advising the opening date of Friday 3rd April. In discussions with Stagecoach and KCC, I can advise that there will be a bus service to nearby the new store.

Friday, 3rd April will also be a date when another major step is taken in the Dover area that will see further improvements in due course as we continue to develop partnerships to bring the Dover District into the 21st Century - this one is something that I have been working on for nearly five years on a rough road at times but we are now within weeks of signing up but as it is a partnership it will need to be a joint release of the details.

Dover is starting to move ahead despite the present economic situation and I think the Big Screen willl help with this especially as we start to pull out of the credit crunch and investment starts again.

Dover is a catalyst of missed opportunities in the past while our neighbouring towns have grabbed what is on offer and at least tried things.

Dover is the first place that is not a city that has been offered the Big Screen opportunity so if we are to see our town rise we need to weigh up the pros and cons and bite the bullet. I heard from a reliable source that since this announcement there have been three expressions of interest in the former Three Cooks premises that, providing the agent for the owners does there job well, could see a another empty retail property filled. There could be a cafe culture develop in the Market Square/Cannon Street area from where the screen can be seen and market demand will determin how this spans out - naturally existing business are a little concerned at this possibility but if it brings more people to the town there is more potential for them to attract people into their premises.

When I voted to support this on Thursday evening I did so knowing that I had spent many hours weighing up the views of all, knowing where we intend Dover to be moving to over the coming years and understanding that most, if not all of the concerns could be dealt with in the management of the facility.

It is now up to the Planning Committee to either grant or refuse the planning application - it will not be an easy decision for them but knowing them all, everything will be taken into account in their judgement which will be made entirely on planning grounds and the effects on the area based on the evidence before them.

This is a one off chance as the funding is not yet secure for the next round of big screens that they are hoping to erect prior to the 2012 Games - a chance for Dover to be in the big league - there's a thought, a recording of Dover Athletic winning the league could possibly be screened.

If planning permission is granted things will move very quickly with the Big Screen likely to be in position in April.

As a last thought I compared those who are strongly voicing against this opportunty to those who are usually saying that nothing ever happens in Dover and those who would be against it for their own individual reasons. Now that was an interesting comparison.

end link