Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

It is hard to arrange a funeral when you are stricken by grief. Most people don't take advantage of that situation but alas there are some that do and it's very very wrong.

I have studied Burial rites and Mortuary Science and did some 'work experience' in a funeral directors. I found it totally fascinating to gain an insight into an area that, frankly, most people don't want to explore unless they have to arrange a funeral. The industry has changed considerably over the years.

Gone are the days of being told what you could have at the funeral; now the emphasis is on when do you want it and what do you want? As regards burials and cremations, anything is possible as long as it's legal. On the first day I was there one funeral was being conducted using an environmentally friendly cardboard coffin. The branch I was at (a well known family firm in North London who conducted the late Princess Diana's and the Queen Mothers funerals) average around five funerals per day. Each one is tailored to specific religious / location / budgetary requirements and carried out with the utmost dignity.

I did find the chapels of rest a little unnerving at first but by the end of the day I was more like, "Hello John, are you alright there"? "I'm just going to tidy you up a bit before your family arrive". Black horses are occasionally required, they are Dutch and stabled in Essex. It takes around three years of training (similar to police horses) before they can be used. They are transported by truck to the site, along with the hearse carriage, and on arrival travel along special routes in order to avoid steep hills etc - yes, I admit I hadn't thought about a horse and carriage on an incline! There's no second chance with a funeral so everything is double, treble and quadruple checked to ensure that nothing can go wrong. One thing that did make me laugh was one of the horses had a small white patch on his head which was cunningly disguised with shoe polish so it didn't show (thankfully it didn't rain!)

Incidentally more people die in January than at any other time of the year.

A couple more (rue) funeral related funnies -

I was attending my cousin's funeral some years ago and busying myself at the back of the church sorting the wreaths from the relatives. I had left my handbag in a corner when to my horror my mobile rang and echoed around the church. My Emenim "Stan" ring tone could be heard by all! Needless to say the priest was not amused!!

When I lived in London I passed an interesting looking church. I went inside and discovered a funeral was taking place. Having been brought up as a Catholic I was always told you never walk out of a church during mass or funeral once you were inside. I found a seat at the back and when the service finished I made my way to the door. One of the deceased's friends or relatives asked me how I knew the dead guy and I admitted I didn't (and hastily added I didn't want to just walk out during the service.) I was more concerned that in my usual black attire hiding at the back someone may have thought I was a secret mistress - ! Another person thinking I was family informed me the buffet and drinks would be at the pub across the road - no I didn't go!!

end link