Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

There is a place for Zero hours contracts - agreed - when they are mutual and work for mutual benefit of both employee and employer. However, their use has proliferated beyond where they are immediately applicable and in many cases (not all or necessarily even the majority, just many) they have become exploitative of the labour force contracted in this way with some employers even using the definition of "zero hours" as part-time employment to rapidly turn over employees before they accrue any rights or employment benefits.

The drawbacks for the employee on a zero hours contract are many, many, many (try getting a bank loan, a mortgage, life assurance, hire purchase agreement, etc.when you have a zero hours contract - difficult in some cases, impossible in others). The drawbacks for an employer are less readily determinable (I'm sure there are some), personally, as an employer, I would not deploy such type of contract for my own employees because I want their commitment, loyalty and dedication to the company to share in the benefits during the good times and help in seeing the business through the bad times. But the benefits for an employer in deploying zero hours contracts are many, many, many, especially if the employer has little or no social conscience.

end link