Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Sandys Welcomes Rise in Minimum Wage After Raising Issue with PM

South Thanet MP Laura Sandys today welcomed the announcement by the Low Pay Commission that the minimum wage will rise by an inflation-busting 3%.

After calling on the Prime Minister to look at a minimum wage increase in questions earlier this month, Laura said she was 'delighted' by the news.

The rise to an hourly rate of £6.50 will add an extra £370 to the annual pay packets of more than a million UK workers.

Laura Sandys said:

"I am delighted at the announcement of a significant increase in the minimum wage. I really do feel strongly about this issue which is why I urged the Prime Minister to look into it earlier this month.

"Though this is great news for families, it is important to ensure that this is balanced with measures to support small businesses. I strongly support the Government's corporate tax cuts and the scrapping of burdensome red tape, along with a £2000 cut in national insurance.

"Working people suffered through the recession and it is right that they feel the benefits of the recovery. This increase will mean that hard-pressed families can really start to feel the effects in their pockets, and will further reinforce the principle that it always pays to be in work."

-ENDS-

end link