Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Howard you really have fallen into the rigid lefty thinking that time after time damages the vulnerable and low paid.

Your ridiculous minimum wage has created a low-pay norm in many industries. Every employer knows what they others are paying certain classes of job. Every employee in those job classes know that every employer is paying the same. That eliminates wage competition for employers, while it damages aspiration and expectation in the employed. The result, people being locked into that minimum wage. No longer does an employer even have to think about what wage to offer in so many industries to get staff.

Low pay is now a trap when previously it was a stage you went through towards better pay and you knew that if you worked hard, was reliable, you could raise your value in the jobs market. Those days are gone now for many people..

I am only glad that when I was low paid back in the late 70's it was before this minimum wage farce and I could work the jobs market to improve my pay. Once I managed a 40% pay rise by applying for a job elsewhere and getting offered 25%, then my existing employer countered that with a 40% increase - that could not happen with the min wage with employers knowing what you are paid. Those were the days!!!

This low-pay trap was created because we had a government that did not understand or believe in the markets. Better to trust the market than to trust bureaucrats and politicians.

end link