Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Peter Garstin wrote:

Obviously DHB has managed to convince DDC that the heritage assets will be replaced and the pier re-opened following the works. However there is no detail on this aspect of the application and we believe therefore that the granting of consent by the planning committee to the proposal would create a serious risk of the permanent loss of this historic structure which is dear to thousands of Dovorians. DDC may be convinced but DPPTL is not and neither, we suspect, are the community. I shall not go into the detail of how the pier is held in such esteem by the community as that is obvious from the many comments already received from citizens on DDC's planning website and by the outpourings of anger in the press and on social media. However, given the town's feeling and its distrust of the applicant, the Planning Committee should use their power to delay this consent until the additional detail is provided, to demand binding undertakings from DHB as to the timescale for re-opening the pier and reinstating its furniture, and to stop the application in its tracks if such detail and undertakings are not forthcoming.

This rather gives the impression that the intention is to re-open the pier. Correct me if I am wrong, but this does not appear to be the case. The pier will be closed and the section by the hoverport lowered to the same level. Thereupon the new cargo terminal will be constructed. This will cut off the end of the pier. On completion of works, the area that will be open to the public will be the marina curve. I am given to understand that the new pier protecting the entrance to the marina will not be open to the public, although I may be wrong and they may change their minds anyway given the present furore.

It is also contemplated that cruise ships may berth on the cargo berths to enable the passengers to wander ashore via the marina curve to give them a more pleasant walk than the hike from the Admiralty Pier.

end link