Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Those were the days Howard... But as you said we cannot do anything about the past. It is so frustrating knowing we don't seem to be doing much about the future either. I am working on an essay on why we need a central government at all. Most people do not know their MP's. Especially if they do not live in the place they are supposed to represent. Why can't the County Councils run Britain with people voted into office who acutally live in the locallity. Working together they could come up with something where there is an elected Senator to each County who can sit in the Commons, and an elected Lord Mayor who can sit in the House of Lords, instead of the fiasco we have now. In the fifties there were forty-two counties in England. Now there are Ninty-two with Thirty-three in Scotland, Thirteen in Wales, and Six or Seven in Northern Ireland. Each with a County Council running the Counties quite well. With nearly every town with its local council helping them. There is far too much money going into central government, and not enough coming back. The people of the Counties know their councillors well, and most have their people at heart. Surely, we can come up with a better system of elected government than we have now. I cannot put my trust in people who are already well-off before they take office. Their real interest cannot be with those who work hard for a living...there are too many temptations elsewhere. The dispatches program opened that can of worms when two ex-ministers were charging lobbyists for their services, talking about fees of between £3000 to £5000 for a mornings work. Not many know about the all-party lobbying groups either. I believe Britain and Europe are being grossly over Governed to the tune of billions of pounds wasted on overcharging of expences, as usual paid for by the taxpayer, who is their employer. Things will not change until the people wake up. Andy Stucken is right. The people of Britain seem to lack a backbone when it comes to voting. If Mr Corben gets in as Leader of the Labour party, maybe there will be a chance for the working man. He did not need the cruel critism of Tony Blair the other day on national TV as Blair's Labour government was no different to the Conservative Party, and he seemed to do alright out of it...The people need someone like Corben, he is for the working man. Blair's unjust critism of Corben showed just how much he cared about the working man. He is out of politics now and making good money elsewhere, he should keep his mouth shut. With Blair and Brown you got the same whoever you voted for, Labour or the Conservatives. If you voted for the Liberals or other parties all you did was split the vote in favour of the top two parties. It is not a democratic system when the votes, which go to the minor parties are completely wasted...like in the last General Election and the Inderpendent vote... I hope this government will do something about Dover. I also hope the Dover Council and the County Council will realise that Dover does not want big business moving in to the deprement of the town. I fear though, that as the years go by and Dover's population becomes diluted more and more by outsiders, the interest in our town,s troubles will dwindle. I sincerely hope not.

end link