Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Interesting read John but I will stick with present, the past we can do nothing about. You refer to the old London Docks being sold off to private developers. I was brought 50 yards from the entrance to the Victoria & Albert and remember the vibrancy of stevedores going back and forth 7 days week at times. Eventually it was found that deep sea shipping got a cheaper and quicker turnaround in Antwerp and Rotterdam. Dover is a different matter after the fight to sell of the port by DPPT forced the then Government to think up a way the Dover citizens could get some benefit to the town to balance things up.

The Minister last year decreed it to be a community port meaning that they appoint three community directors on high salaries to work 3 days a week who were supposed to be in place by January 1st, seems clear that they won't be appointed until they have completed what they set out to do.

I am going by memory so please feel free to make corrections.

end link