Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Thank You Alan.

"The petition is also raising debate on many more subjects of concern, from EU funding to the Hospital, to the Port, to the need for improved infrastructure, to schools etc".

Much of that above, is not the responsibility of Dover District Council.
    EU funding is being looked at.
    The hospital (now it is being built), is the responsibil;ity of the CCG (Care Commissioning Group)
    The Port is owned by DHB and the Government although DDC have given input to the Minister
    Improved infrastructure - which particular infrastructure are you talking about Alan ?
    Schools are the responsibility of KCC.
    I'm not trying to make a cop-out of your statement at all, but pointing out that everything wrong with Dover is not all the fault of DDC.

"There is a heightened level of concern regarding the contribution that is made to this town by some of our elected representatives at District level. These concerns may or may not be right, but how do we find out ?"

District Councillors not only represent their ward and the electorate in that ward, but also the whole District on a range of subjects - planning, scrutiny, transport issues - in conjuction KCC, Licensing and the regulations surrounding that and attending many other meetings, as well as supporting those they represent on a range of topics.

"We are right to expect the best level of outcome, which of course can only be achieved by the highest level of effort and skill. Those endeavours, along with outcomes - successful or otherwise - need to be communicated. Re-cycled news and snippets are insufficient."

The electorate/residents of Dover are indeed entitled to expect the best from their Councillors; some do give more (time and effort) than others and some are more skilled than others, but if the electorate are not happy with their Councillor, they can contact them first and ask what they are doing about such and such and if they are still not happy, change their vote at the next election.
    I agree that recycled news and snippets are not sufficient - how would you like the news of things, or information on certain subjects, relayed to you, or should I say, the general public ? We (DDC) have a newsletter, but how many people read it ? It is on the Council's website for all to see/read. If there's different sorts, or types of information you'd like, let me know.

"It is also unacceptable for local government officers to be protected from censure and disciplinary measures through their cocooned existence. The private sector flourishes because it will not accept second best. It is time for Dover to have what it has deserved for decades and to know whether those who work for this town have the calibre to achieve it."

How do you determine whether an Officer of DDC needs to be censured or disciplined Alan ? They are not in a cocoon at all; they all do the best they can, under sometimes, very difficult situations. Please do let me know (by email) particular instances if you have any and I will be happy to follow them up.

Many private sector businesses do flourish, but many do fail too. Councils across the Country are having money taken from them, or perhaps I should say, are receiving much less money from central Government. This makes Councils work much more efficiently than they used to, are much slicker than they used to be and actually, despite your criticism of them Alan, work very hard indeed.
    There are many merged/shared services across East Kent; the public sector (at least DDC) is not the cushy job it was once thought of being.
    I think that some of your questions about the calibre of those who work for this Town could also be aimed at DTC.

Thanks again Alan.

Roger

end link