Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Good evening everyone. I really don't like forum discussions, I often think that email destroyed the politeness gene. You find the measure of a man when face-to-face. However, I have joined Dover Forum, albeit temporarily, to clarify why I have launched this e-petition. In doing so, I will profoundly disagree with my good friend Roger Walkden, much as I respect him and his views.

I was prompted to instigate this petition based upon another small petition I worked on with River Parish Council. One councillor and the Chairman of DDC dismissed the concept of petitions at a Parish meeting but within a few weeks 600 signatures had been obtained and, shortly after, DDC agreed to respond positively, although there was some resistance in some quarters.

Under the Local Government Act 2010, an e-petition that attains a percentage of the council area's population (1600 in our case) forces a public meeting. The Leadership Group at DDC are absolutely responsible for this project. Outsourcing activity to Bond City or any other enterprise does not allow them (DDC) to abrogate their responsibilities. If I had written to Bond City they would have quite rightly advised that they had no accountability to me. DDC do have, and they need to advise their electorate of the costs and causes of where we are on the St.James development. If they are shown to be outstanding in their competencies, I will applaud them. If they are not fit for purpose, we should know. If DDC are satisfied with their efforts as Roger suggests, then a public forum will be a pleasing experience for them and provide excellent publicity. This petition is only counter-productive if DDC councillors and officers have failed in their responsibilities.

Some people on this forum obviously enjoy mischief making. For their benefit, I am not and have never been a member of a political party. For a short while I was the Chair of the Dover Alliance, a group of independently motivated people. I am a friend of David Little and through that, have been able to elicit the support of UKIP. I have also been given considerable support from senior local Labour Party members and am aware of many Tory voters who have already signed the petition. I am grateful to all of them.

By the way, I did notice that Mr. McSweeny called me a reprobate on another site. Please know Sir that you should be mindful what you put in print. What you may consider free for all banter is offensive.

Within 8 hours of this e-petition going live, we approach almost 200 signatures.

Regards, Alan Shirley.

end link