Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Sue,

"What I can say is that since 1978 DDC have managed to assemble the land so that eventually the building work can commence ,The old MFI site has been the latest development"

What year was the MFI building constructed?

I'm glad the Asda proposal fell through...it was rubbish! The problem is that we were told that it was good and that it was the only offer. I will wait to pass judgement on the next one but bet it will not address any of the problems it could possibly solve.

It is easy to say that this is not the resposibilty of DDC but of the planners, this simply isn't the case. The developers are wanting to make money, not improve the town, which was the inherent problem with the Asda plan. This site is potentially pivotal in regenerating the town as it is the obvious point at which the town could reconnect with the sea front.

I can never understand why the council has not run a competition to try and establish a vision for the DTIZ site, rather than let developers present them with 'one size fits all' answers. This is the failing of the council, not their ability to process mundane applications that are conceived through 'development' and not through 'regeneration'.

There has never been a master plan, only plans and this is the problem. I know people work hard and that their intentions are good, but why not look at how other councils approach it. Will Alsop's design for Barnsley springs to mind, which won't be fully realised but certainly is 'a vision' and not just desperation.

end link