Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Chris, looking at your list, we can analyse the various elements.

The Bronze Age boat is in a state of permanent preservation, having undergone all the necessary chemical treatments, and is placed in an enclosed environment. It needs no expenses for its upkeep as it cannot decay as it stands now.

Promoting its historical meaning is very good, and personally I have done my utmost best on the Web to help in that direction. I've portrayed Dover as Britain's oldest port, Dubra, with the oldest known seafaring vessel in the world, foundation of Britain's civilazation and trade, Albion...

The piers in the harbour and the Clock Tower are built to last, unlikely to decay, and are at any rate cared for by DHB, so no worries there.

The Town Hall has been purchased by DTC, who is still paying a mortgage on it, or at least this was the case 2 years ago when they sent me an email after I proposed the renovation of the church building opposite and its use as a church - or at least as a public - building.
    Therefore, the Town Hall is catered for by DTC's annual budget.

St. Edmund's chapel, as long as no tree roots grow into the masonry, is in no risk of decay. I remember the days when it was open to visitors, and people left donations in money on the table there. On one occasion there was a heap of French 5 Frank coins, presumably left by visitors.
    Close a church, and people will not be able to visit it, and will leave no donations either. Dover closed that chapel, and so people can't leave donations there!!!

The Dover College buildings are private, used by students. I assume the College receives plenty of funds from student fees (and student sleeping quarters?) to maintain the buildings there. Again, problem solved.

The White Horse is a private pub, and so I assume its proprietor has the funds for its upkeep

St. James church could do with some basic maintenance to prevent stones falling down. On the side to Hubert's passage, there is beautiful engraved brickwork, the surface of which is slowly flaking off. Perhaps some chemical treatment might prevent further deterioration, but it would require expert advice. Try having a look there and you'll see what I'm referring to.

As for Roman foundations, much of these are under York Street, under the library and museum, and beneath Market Square and the adjacent buildings. Nothing can be done to reveal these foundations, which must remain buried forever!
    The Roman Painted House could perhaps receive some funding for general upkeep if it were opened to visitors.

Biggin Street buildings come under local landlords and shops. General facade work usually implies rendering and painting. Quite straight forward really, just requires some scaffolding.
    A facade can be painted in a few hours. Done it myself, know what it's all about.
    Rendering. when required, can take a little longer.

Drop Redoubt and Grand Shaft, together with moats, require that no roots of trees grow in the bricks, as tree and bush roots will cause the brickwork to explode and crumble.
    Ivy is best eradicated from these walls before it grows high, so a general trimming to the ground of all ivy plants twice a year would be a fairly straight forward job.
    Leave ivy to grow 20 metres high, and acquire thick branches, and you have 20,000 times more work to do getting rid of it.
    So all in all, general gardening prevents the overgrowth starting in the first place. Rather like mowing a lawn.

For the rest, give the metal work on the heights (doors etc. in the moats) a quick paint over once in a while. Makes an enormous difference!

Perhaps if the Western Heights Preservation Society had a few paid full-time gardeners, 99% of their problem would be solved. So I'd suggest here asking a competent authority for such funding. It would create a few jobs after all, and serve to prevent the decay of brickwork, which, as I stated, is mainly threatened by spreading roots of trees and bushes.

Having worked as gardener, I know what I'm referring to. Hope this little expert advice can be of help

end link