Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Paul, in reply to your question, and in reference to "successful restaurants, shops, businesses, services, tourist attraction, building projects", we have all the above mentioned, and all these businesses do already employ people.

A brief glance through the windows of most restaurants in Dover, not necessarily all, will reveal that these often have many, many empty spaces, more now then a few years ago, and a lot more than, say, 20 years ago and more.

Even if there were a relevant influx of visitors to Dover for whatever reason, the existing businesses would be able to cater for them without needing to increase their staff, and this includes supermarkets, taking into account that not all of then have the same business as Morisons and usually don't require much queuing up at the counter.

That said, tourists do not usually go to the supermarkets to do the weekly shop. Many do not necessarily spend a night either, especially if visiting a memorial on a one-off occasion.
    This certainly applies to cruise ship tourists, who sleep in their cabins.
    Tourists/visitors do not usually by clothes either, but bring these along.

Of-course some shops might employ one person here and there IF the memorial project did attract many, and I mean many people on a regular basis, but that is about all.
    However, I cannot see how this would affect our general situation here, more like a drop in the Channel.

Your idea that we would see new restaurants, hotels, B/Bs, shops in plenty, open up with the presence of a memorial, is plainly not viable.
    Please, Paul, if you take this to heart, do consult a person on this, an expert, perhaps a few different experts, to have a broader, and expert, opinion. You are under an illusion that simply does not work as you think.

Planning, figuring out, informing oneself before starting a big project, is better, and may well turn out cheaper, as your memorial idea would require enormous investment and would take up a huge area of the Western Heights.

If, on the contrary, it did pull off, and attracted many, apart from not being able to trigger off any substantial gain to the by far larger part of the local population, you still have to answer my point about the traffic.
    Where would thousands, possibly tens of thousands, of cars park? On Western Heights?
    In Pencester Gardens? Along the seafront?

These things must be thought through, and you haven't even answered these questions yet, although I mentioned this several times on this thread. Then there is the mentioned fact of Military Road with all its bends. How many accidents? People crossing over to visit the Heights on foot and being knocked down.

As for building hundreds of houses, on Western Heights and again in Farthingloe, I haven't brought the Farthingloe subject up, and was referring specifically to Western Heights with regards to building hundreds of houses. I simply believe it is unacceptable. It is contrary to the spirit of preservation of a Green and historical area.

But your proposal, which is also of Chris, Roger, Peter and Paul W, and a few others, is overwhelming: you want to build up Farthingloe with houses. and Western Heights with houses, and a mega memorial to attract millions of visitors, and a hotel, and park the cars God knows where.

All this while proclaiming untold prosperity with businesses suddenly springing up from nowhere, and thousands of new residents of the most skilled type coming and settling here, miraculously creating jobs for thousands of local unemployed, and somehow achieving within all this the miraculous renovation of the moats and barracks...

Paul, developers, in return for their prospected cash gains, will tell you all sorts of things, but please try consulting an independent party, some experts who are not developers, and get an expert opinion from someone who is not financially to gain from any proposed development in Dover.

Your information from developers preaching the Moon is something like the butcher convincing turkeys to come over for a Christmas party. The developers will take advantage of you, Paul, and of all of us. You need a broader opinion, and a viable financial plan, before claiming all the things you have claimed will come upon us in terms of economical and social and architectural regeneration.

With this very long post, I leave you to brood over it, and hope tomorrow will bring enlightenment to you.

As an example, see Ross' post, it does give you an idea that not all the public agree with everything you have proposed.

end link