Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Ok I wasn't going to post on this but here goes

I am in favour of the war memorial and of the proposed housing at Farthingloe, but feel the proposed housing on the Heights is unsympathetic to the surroundings and significantly diminishes the amenity of the area. I am not averse to the proposal for a hotel on the heights as an adjunct to the war memorial and as a potential source of revenue for further preservation of the fortifications etc on the heights. I have spoken to many people and they all seem to share broadly similar views.

With regard to the other housing proposals clearly they will not of themselves create wealth or jobs, but the right sort of "family home with garden" developments at appropriate prices will, when combined with the Town Team proposals and High Speed Rail will start to attract the demographic that is sadly missing from Dover. These people will want to educate their kids locally and shop locally therefore delivering extra jobs in schools for local people, increased business for shops/cafes/pubs/restaurants which will progressively create more jobs for locals; medium term this will make Dover a more attractive location to other retailers and businesses hopefully creating a virtuous circle. The missing link and one that many of us are working behind the scenes on is to raise the skill levels of locals to help attract skilled rather than unskilled jobs to the town.

end link