Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Jan, using my view, the two memorials you mention have already been mentioned in my posts: namely, there are many such memorials already, and we don't need this new one. So you are saying there the exact opposite of my words and then attributing this to me!

Roger, you say this memorial will bring prosperity to Dover. So you have already decided it will go ahead, but I see no local consultation about it, and don't see any interest of the general public in it.

It is clear that this project is an attempt to make money, nothing more. The idea that visitors would come, not to be in silence and remember their fallen relative or the fallen soldiers in general, but to invest money in Dover, "bringing prosperity" is in itself in contravention of the spirit of any war memorial.

I assume you plan a pay-for-visit method, and bank on masses of people coming from far and wide on a regular basis. How else can I interpret your claim that this memorial would "bring prosperity to Dover"?

Chris, there are so many places where people have gathered over the decades to celebrate or commemorate battles and fallen soldiers in both World Wars, which is one of the points I've been making.

The points I made about mass traffic that would ensue on Western Heights are valid points, it would seem this is the "future prosperity" envisaged by the planners. There have been a number of "footfall" proposals coming from DDC as to how to attract many people to Dover, they all seem to fail dismally, but this one is clearly in breach of English Heritage intentions, which is to preserve, not ruin, an area.

The hundreds of buildings that DDC want to build on Western Heights would no doubt be to attract more settlers to Dover on a DDC promoted (state-promoted) scale, as always without any democratic local consultation, as in the case of Whitfield, not withstanding the many empty houses we have here on the (free-market) housing market.

Paul W, whatever sum of money has been spent on these projects, I will challenge them, they are an attempt to impose mass-urbanisation on Western Heights.

end link