Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Chris, I fully respect our war memorials, but believe we have enough of them dedicated to WW I and II. This alone is my point.

It is not in my opinion that crowds of people will stop over and read all the names of all the fallen British and Commonwealth soldiers. Usually, these names are written on local war memorials, where in a village, a town, a Parish church or a Cathedral, one can read the names of local soldiers who have fallen in a specific military campaign.

It does not appear logical to me that great crowds of tourists will be attracted by a millennium-style project bearing the names of millions of fallen soldiers.

So I'd have preferred we kept to standing customs, where the local soldiers fallen in battle or while in service, are recorded locally, as is the case already.

Generations of Dovorians and men of Kent have sailed the seas, many of my forbears among them, and I see no monument to them.

end link