Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Adding to my last post, I will state that this war memorial business is a waste of space and a mania. All the more so when considering that Western Heights is to some extant a memorial to the Napoleonic wars with the French, and yet Dover meanwhile is twinned with Calais.
    One doesn't see it written anywhere in Dover, but at least in Calais one does!

I thought we were supposed to be friends with the French and the Germans.
    Can we MOVE ON, please! I'm fed-up with this war-mania!

I'd rather see a few community orchards up there, to blend in, where young local people can go and learn how to plant some trees and tend to them.

And may I sate one more thing!
    A certain war against France, which led to the siege of Calais, saw the people of Calais having to consign hostages to the English king who claimed the throne of La France (damned aristocrats!). It is a big theme in the popular history of Calais.

Well, these poor hostages had the plague among them, they were kept in Dover, and the plague broke out and wiped out ALL of the inhabitants of Bradden! To the last poor soul!

Now put THAT up as a memorial on Western Heights! It would be more befitting!

end link