Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I see that there are many varied views on this subject. Yes I am Dick Pimbletts eldest Daughter and I do represent my family and their views on this, and yes I am sure that there would be a great may arguments led by Dad regarding this development and is a shame that he is not here to fight himself, however I am.

I do agree that if nothing is done, what is left up there in the way of historical significance will continue to disappear, my main arguments surround the building of dwellings on the site. in hindsight there should be no residential dwellings up there, the ones already built have shallow foundations in order to compensate for the incompatible building terrain.

It would also be nice if the current owners did 'tidy up the land' or rebuild the fire damaged building, (which again could be an income generation project - White Wedings on the White Cliffs?) however, part of the pleasure of living up there is the wilderness feel and the natural habitat - how many see families of pheasant grazing on their lawns most mornings?

But at the end of the day you cannot ignore the fact that the WHOLE area is a scheduled ancient monument, which seems to be the mainpoint that is overlooked. There are other ways of promoting the area, more sympathetic ideas that will enhance the Western Heights, to me is a simple case of 'buy land - build houses - make money'

I have spoken and have been in close contact with CGI and am fully aware of their views, so nothing I am saying is uninformed or just to be difficult - I have a passion about the area, am bemused that English Heritage are neglecting their duty in investing one of their properties and feel that more can be done as a community to promote the Heights.

I am happy to join WHPS as I am not just someone who fires of emails or opinions, but someone who is willing to work on improving the area in whatever capacity.

end link