Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Having looked at the plans and spoken with CGI a few times I must say that I like the plans on the whole and care has been taken to be sensitive to the skyline. The glass lift is just a suggestion and the cable care is a DDC dream, nothing to do with CGI. CGI have tried to engage the public in consultations and have been to see the residents of Knights Templar with an offer to put something in their square should they want it (there was nothing they did). There will still be playing fields in the area, just not necessarily where it is now. Paul will confirm that they are happy to negotiate with the WHPS on preserving the greater part of the Western Heights and help with improvements where they can.

The National War Memorial is a separate issue (not a part of CGI's plans) and is an important part of respecting this countries heritage. The site was formally barracks and a hospital (and a gym) which have all been demolished (at the time for DDC plans for a housing estate). It has been well mapped and documented. The Memorial is, in my view, an excellent design that will be tasteful to those commemorated, be a worthy addition to the site and provide an unobtrusive but memorable site from the channel. It will also attract very many more visitors to the Western Heights and, by extension, the town.

The whole development will create up to 570 new jobs for the town, by comparison the DTIZ is replacing one hotel with another and offering shop space most likely to be taken up by retailers already operating in the town so will actually create very few 'new' jobs.

I always had the greatest respect for Richard but I am sure we would have had more than a few interesting arguments over this one. The citadel area will not be affected.

end link