Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

WHPS will do whatever we can to ensure that what is allowed is not to the detriment of the Western Heights and it's long term future. I think everyone is aware that the only way the Heights is going is downwards and the tens (hundreds?) of millions of pounds that are desparately needed isn't going to be given to us. We do what we can with very little money. Fort Amhurst is a fraction of the size of the Heights and has been in decay a lot longer.

If the developments are done sensitively and create a permanent presence up there that discourages vandalism and provides the kick start to repairing the heritage, then I think we will need to work with the developers to make the best of the situation. We have to be realistic. The money that the Castle takes goes around the country, millions of pounds of grants have gone on the Castle and Seafront, so I cannot see where the money will come from otherwise. In the meantime the place fall apart even more whilst we wait?

To be fair to the developers (I don't like to say it!) but they have to have plans in place to be able to discuss with residents and i think their have put a lot of time and investment into them, and have met with a lot of parties involved - Dover District Council, Tover Town Council, English Heritage, Home Office, National Trust, residents, WHPS. They could have just gone straight to planning.

Also I saw someone very animated in the market square roadshow about why aren't CGI investing money in the town - I can't see how they can do that when they don't own properties in the town !!

This still has a long way to run, there are lots of people to please, and lots of details to get this through planning....

end link