Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

This is very slow geting off the ground this morning must be because the clocks went back.

Anyway on we go.

The Proposal is Freedom pass.

{1} Reduce spending on the Freedom pass by £2million by raisiong the fixed charge from £100 to £200 per year. saving would be £2million.The Freedom pass is available to all 11-16year olds living in Kent,for a fixed sum of £100 per year, On average it represents excellent value as each pass equates to an average of £500 worth of travel.

For the Proposal

(1) Some feel that although it is a useful thing to have it is not an essential service.

(2) Some feel that it should not be the role of KCC to help with affordability and accessibility of public transport-people choose where they live and go to school.

(3)If a) £200 still provides a "good deal" compared to the cost of normal public transport or use of cars.

IF b) Many parents can afford bus fares for their children without public subsidy.

Against the Proposal.

(1) It has been very popular and the numbers of young people (over 25,000) who have one demonstrates its success.

(2) Increasing the charge could make it unaffordable for larger families.

{3) Its more environmentally friendly than relying on Mum or Dad to take them places in their car,and reduces congestion with fewer cars on the roads.

(4) Some feel that it enables children to attend the school of their choice,regardless of distance and enable young people to access a wide range of leisure & cultural outside school.

There was alot of talk about this one some were saying that there sould be some kind of means test ,but my view is it should say at £100 per year.

So what do you think?

This is my last one of the morning I have to go out,but still alot more to come later.

end link