Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I'm surprised that South Thanet stretches as far as Betteshanger!

On a more serious note, there was an item shown on BBC breakfast tv earlier about the technology involved, using the food waste that gets collected every week to produce methane and fertiliser. The plant shown produced enough gas to manufacture electricity for 1200 homes (though they didn't say whether that was summer or winter levels).

It seems a no brainer if a commercial company takes on the financial risk and makes a profit from recycling a waste product, but just two problems struck me. First, will they only make a profit because of the green subsidies they get and how sustainable or efficient is this in the long run.

Second, it was part of a larger item about reducing food waste by education - as that project gets more successful, they'll having trouble finding enough material for the digesters in future.

I expect it will appear on the BBC website eventually.

end link