Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Forgive me if I appear to be a Philistine Phil, but the facade of the old Gaumont cinema (to me) has no architectural merit atl all.

It may well have done when it was still the Gaumont, but years of neglect from the various owners have left it in a state that cannot be saved.

Buildings of architectural merit are saved and are important to DDC and everyone one else. Brook House was constantly flooding, the basement always had water in it and that was causing it to rot.
    I don't know who, if anyone gave the nod for it to be knocked down, but after DDC sold it, the next owners did very little with it, so it wasn't surprising it got into the state it did.
    DDC didn't own the old Post Office building, but they did put a condition on the new planning permission for Woollies, that the facade was to stay, sadly, whoever knocked down the rest of the building must have damaged the facade, as it then became unsafe.

DDC are not responsible for everything in Dover - good or bad.

Roger

end link