Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I think that the game of political tennis being played on this very contentious subject is masking the actual point that was being made by Brian, which I believe was the increased use of food banks.

The number shown to be using food banks cannot be an accurate assessment as some of the more astute may be visiting more than one bank and thus inflating the overall figures. Having no political axe to grind, like many people, I am concerned that some families have to resort to using them in the first place because benefits have been cut.

The start point must surely be to encourage those that are able to work to take a job and at least earn a wage even if it doesn't meet their aspirations. Obviously close checks would need to be made to ensure that employers were paying a wage commensurate with the job.

The benefit system should not be regarded as a right but as a means to assist those who are unable to work, with perhaps a 'top up' for those that work and really warrant it. Obviously this is just a simplistic idea but could be considered as a start point.

end link