Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Extract from DTC minutes, seems that Mrs Pearson has been economical with the truth yet again.

166. WAR MEMORIAL UPDATE
    The Town Council received the following statement from Mrs P Carr concerning the War Memorial.
    "Thank you for the opportunity to address the council in response to the proposal to erect a flagpole upon the
    grounds of the Dover War Memorial.
    It is clearly and understandably a highly emotive issue and I must stress that this objection does not signify
    any disrespect towards the flag or those who serve it. Neither does it imply or diminish my reverence to those
    represented by the memorial. Despite several attempts at dialogue this objection seems the only recourse to
    pursue open debate and provide clarity.
    The Statue of Youth and plinths were designed to a specific height to not impede on the view of Maison Dieu
    House, not only is this listed but the War Memorial itself was given grade II listed status in 2012 to erect a
    flagpole behind and directly in line with the statue is an insult to its artistic quality.
    I believe the proposal cannot be considered as a true representation of the signed petition as they differ in their
    objectives. It clearly stated behind the statue on the submitted proposal whilst the petition used to gather
    signatures only states a flagpole outside Dover Town Council offices. This has led to confusion and the
    misinterpretation of facts for some signatories, some also deem the petition redundant with the flag now flown
    24/7 upon the Town Hall.
    I may raise in example the claim within the proposal (which sadly was also quoted as fact on social media) of
    the full support from Lord Boyce when in fact in communication with Lord Boyce mysef; the alleged
    conversation does not correspond with August Pearson's interpretation. Lord Boyce is of the opinion that the
    War Memorial speaks for itself and he does not have a view on the matter about flying another by
    the war memorial.
    Various comments and visuals on social media indicate there was various positions preferred to erect a flagpole
    and also to which flag is flown, reinforcing that although they support the petition not all people are aware that
    the proposal which has been submitted has only one singular placement to be considered by Council.
    Though I personally reject a flagpole upon the memorial site I believe a local debate would be the best way
    forward. An opportunity for various opinions and proposals to be heard and considered, leading to an
    informed final decision by a true majority. No singular proposal can be accepted by the Council until a true
    indication of the feeling of majority can be found".

end link