Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Sheila the only costs are a flagpole and spotlights. Plus planning permission. Less than a total of £2000. I have offered to pay for the pole and I am sure that I could find you local professionals who would be willing to carry out the work at cost, as would any college have been willing to design your new website rather than vote to spend £14000 of our money on it, or other stuff that I am sure could have been obtained cheaper. Councillors get £1000 each to spend as they wish. Maybe some would be willing to make a donation to the costs of the flagpole etc. I am happy to pay for the lot if that is what it takes. The mayor raised the subject of costs to raise and lower the flag. There are many who would volunteer to do that job on a rota, I am 1 of those. Or as it used to be, the first one in and the last one out get that honour. I personally have no preference in relation to the flag flying at night but a letter I received from Graham Bartram, who had contacted me on behalf of Admiral the Lord Boyce stated : the Union flag can fly from any location in UK at any time. It can be flown at night but we would prefer that it is spotlit in these circumstances. It would be most appropriate for the flag to fly 24hrs a day at a war memorial and this is exactly what happens at UK's main war memorial, the Cenotaph in Whitehall. I will contact Dover town council, suggesting they invest in a flagpole and either decide to raise and lower the flag daily or install a spotlight". Admiral the Lord Boyce told me personally on Regatta day that he fully supported me in my efforts to fly the flag at all times. This information was passed on to DTC via their fb page immediately so a considerable number of weeks ago. To date not 1 person has said the flagpole will be erected indeed, its suggestion is met with hostility from you and the mayor Sheila as all were able to witness at the meeting on 3 September. I am aware there was a council meeting last night. Did anybody come back with any response? I asked for it in writing of each and every councillor present as it was on the notes handed to everybody together with the list of 9 councillors who were for the flagpole. I have also sent questions to DTC days ago but not received a reply. The main one for me, that I am sure you will be able to answer being" when was the 3 minute rule last applied at a DTC meeting?" It is not confidential information and could be found in the minutes. Minutes were taken when Ann and I met up with the mayor together with the person chairing the meeting, Allison Burton so proper council meetings surely must have the minutes taken. For information, another 156 signatures have been collected in 3 days of about 1 to 2 hrs just standing by the memorial.

end link