Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Jack, my Father DID always say how lazy it was to leave a flag flapping at night, the part of flag protocol that says it is ok to fly a flag at night so long as it is properly illuminated IS a modern addendum. My forebears DID all serve in the armed forces. So nothing in what I've said is rubbish or untrue. In conflict zones and in times of war, protocol is sometimes laid aside, but as civilians in a land at peace, we have no excuse not to properly honour the flag and the fallen by making the effort required to do so. There is no need to insult another person's point of view, I have not insulted yours or you. I personally do not agree that it is appropriate or respectful to fly the flag at night, I am of the view that it should go up at sunrise and come down at sunset.

I am of the view that if people want a flag at the memorial on every day of the year, then the proper way to do it is to do it properly and respectfully with flag raising at dawn and lowering at sunset. What has been suggested so far seems to me to be less than respectful and honouring - stick the flag on the pole and leave it there day and night no effort to demonstrate respect and honour in that and I thought the whole point of having a flag by the memorial was to demonstrate physically what I am sure we all feel with regard to the honoured dead.

end link